Apple iPhone SDK Announced

March 6, 2008

Apple finally announced their iPhone SDK and it looks pretty cool. For all the gory play by play details, check out Engadget (with pics). You can also download the SDK starting right now, right here.

Some highlights:

With Apple controlling the iPhone app distribution, they open up an additional revenue stream. It’s actually fairly brilliant to use iTunes to sell iPhone software via the infrastructure already in place for music and videos. It works, users are familiar with it, and Apple has all our credit card info ready to go.

The platform also has some developer-tempting features (Multi-touch, accelerometer), plus there’s a fairly large installed base of folks eager to try out new applications. The slick and cool “walled garden” is slowly opening up.

So will there be a 3G iPhone in June? Let the anticipation begin.

Comments

1. houserocker says:

hope too see more cool apps asap

2. houserocker says:

hope too see more cool apps asap

3. webomatik says:

This SDK release shows that everything is about control. I would really like to see flash on iPhone, but it seems that it won’t happen any time sooner. Pity.

Others mentioned the lack of Flash on iPhone. I do think Flash is processor heavy (certain Flash pieces really set the fans on my MacBook spinning). But I definitely think there is some business posturing going on. Adobe has Flash video (highly used on YouTube) and tons of Flash games. I think Apple wants people to use Apple technologies for video – Apple has a video rental store – and use this SDK to create and sell games through the Apple Store – meaning profit for Apple in both cases.

As a Flash programmer myself I have mixed feelings about Flash not being on the iPhone. I think it’s technically possible but Apple wants to get these other profit streams going before allowing Adobe in there.

5. chris says:

I’m really excited about the SDK, especially the $100 Million fund that is encouraging developers to create quality applications. The future seems wonderful for the iPhone

6. Jon Do says:

I get an IPhone some time ago and the best thing what I see on it is … the console :) After my program doesn’t recognize my 6G of mp3′s from flash I was forced to remove them directly from console …

7. Jon Do says:

I get an IPhone some time ago and the best thing what I see on it is … the console :) After my program doesn't recognize my 6G of mp3's from flash I was forced to remove them directly from console …