FriendFeed: Open For Business

February 25, 2008

FriendFeed

A while back I posted on FriendFeed, a service that pulls in your activity on various other social sites and organizes them in one place. I’ve used the site fairly regularly over the past weeks and will say it’s gotten me hooked in the same way as Twitter.

Anyhow, FriendFeed just pulled down the ubiquitous “beta” and are open for anybody to sign up. They also just closed $5 million in funding.

Things I like about FriendFeed:

Some challenges I can see:

Anyhow, now that they’re out of beta, it’s worth checking out. My handle is “webomatica“. Do with that info what you may.

Additional Reading: Louis Gray, TechCrunch, VentureBeat

Comments

1. Stefanie says:

Sounds kind of handy – I’ll definitely check it out. I use anywhere from 10-15 social sites on a semi-regular basis, so this might be useful…

D’oh, so I commented on the wrong article.

Thanks for the heads-up, and thanks for subscribing to my feed, dude. :D

It seems they do make it possible to embed your feed on another page, so I’ll probably look into doing that (and maybe more, but this is a nice start). I like the idea of a page that writes itself.

I wish they’d make it easier to tell what kind of features are available – after not finding the embed function, I was goofing around and hit the ‘About’ page to see a link about embedding. That would be more useful in a couple of other places, IMHO.

A couple more observations:

1. Would be nice to have lines separating items in the feed. It’s hard to read past a certain point.
    2. I’d like a preference (or separate pages) to read stuff my friends are doing. It’s an interesting idea to see what friends of my friends are doing, but I don’t always care.

I like it, though…it’s like what I was trying to do with Facebook, but a lot more open. Before trying to do this sort of thing with Facebook, I also attempted to do this with sidebars in my blog, but it never worked like I had hoped. This is the real deal.

I could be convinced to dump the Facebook mini-feed for this, though I’d need to find a way to still have Facebook updates go to my FriendFeed (but only on Facebook, since the outside world cannot see the Facebook-specific stuff). Hmm.

D'oh, so I commented on the wrong article.

Thanks for the heads-up, and thanks for subscribing to my feed, dude. :D

I wish they'd make it easier to tell what kind of features are available – after not finding the embed function, I was goofing around and hit the 'About' page to see a link about embedding. That would be more useful in a couple of other places, IMHO.

A couple more observations:

1. Would be nice to have lines separating items in the feed. It's hard to read past a certain point.
    2. I'd like a preference (or separate pages) to read stuff my friends are doing. It's an interesting idea to see what friends of my friends are doing, but I don't always care.

I like it, though…it's like what I was trying to do with Facebook, but a lot more open. Before trying to do this sort of thing with Facebook, I also attempted to do this with sidebars in my blog, but it never worked like I had hoped. This is the real deal.

I could be convinced to dump the Facebook mini-feed for this, though I'd need to find a way to still have Facebook updates go to my FriendFeed (but only on Facebook, since the outside world cannot see the Facebook-specific stuff). Hmm.

Wow, that’s cool there is some info about embedding. I was thinking about adding Twitter info to this blog since I already have Google Reader, but why not just add FriendFeed info and do the whole shebang. I definitely agree that the embed information might be obscured, as obviously – I couldn’t find it.

Wow, that's cool there is some info about embedding. I was thinking about adding Twitter info to this blog since I already have Google Reader, but why not just add FriendFeed info and do the whole shebang. I definitely agree that the embed information might be obscured, as obviously – I couldn't find it.

As, yes…it’s located at:

I don’t see any info about styling it, but if that’s possible…I’d be delighted. The FriendFeed colors don’t exactly fit in with a lot of pages, and IMHO the logo’s a bit big. And again, they could use feed item separators. I’m no designer, but it’s difficult to look at those items, and thus, use FriendFeed. My eyes just wander past everything.

Otherwise, they got a whole lot *right*, and I’m excited to use it! Once I figure out how I want to fit it into my stuff, I’m going to give the embed code a spin. I don’t want to seem like all I do is complain, but I’m so impressed with how much they got right, that I’d like them to give the rest some attention. Sort of like Apple – sometimes it’s easy to criticize them, but it’s because they did so many things right – we want Apple to smooth out the rough edges. For purely selfish reasons, of course – we want to use their stuff! :D

Cool, the widget looks decent and yes, I would like a bit more styling options. So right now I’m messing around with the RSS feed itself and try to get that displayed in my sidebar in a stripped down manner I’d prefer. I’ll let you know if that works out.

8. Dave says:

I need to get into this, but I’m just feeling a bit daunted by the setup and potential info overload. Do you feel like the privacy controls are pretty robust?

As far as privacy is concerned, you choose what sites you want to include in your FriendFeed. They have a pretty long list on sites you can include at their FAQ. If you’re feeling squeamish just have one site. There’s a check box to make your feed not public, and also for emails when people subscribe to your feed or comment – so it doesn’t get too spammy.

I’m starting to find that looking at other people’s feeds and seeing what they’re sharing, and commenting on them, is becoming really appealing. So even if you sign up and don’t share too much stuff on your own feed, you may still enjoy it. That actually may be an eventual solution to my first challenge I see. It’s possible that if enough data crazed early adopters come on board, being a lurker would be appealing.

Basically the site is being created by a bunch of ex Googlers so it has that fast, clean, no-nonsense feel of GMail, and it’s early enough in the adoption phase so it isn’t overrun with trolls or spammers (that may change). It’s in a sweet spot right now.

10. It seems they do make it possible to embed your feed on another page, so I'll probably look into doing that (and maybe more, but this is a nice start). I like the idea of a page that writes itself.I'm starting to find that looking at other people's feeds and seeing what they're sharing, and commenting on them, is becoming really appealing. So even if you sign up and don't share too much stuff on your own feed, you may still enjoy it. That actually may be an eventual solution to my first challenge I see. It's possible that if enough data crazed early adopters come on board, being a lurker would be appealing.

Thanks for the great post !