MacWorld 2008 Rumors: Ultra Portable, 10.5.2, iPhone 3G
Macworld is fast approaching, so here’s a rumor round up plus a bit of speculation as to what’s going to transpire in January.
HardMac predicts 10.5.2, a new Mac Pro, and Blu-Ray burners.
Computerworld reiterates the persistent rumor of an “ultra-light” Mac notebook. Price point is $1500, LED-backlit 13.3 inch screen, 50% lighter than current notebooks, and a thinner form factor due to flash memory for storage. There will be no hard drive or optical drive.
Apple Insider speculates a 3G iPhone by the middle of 2008. The beans were spilt on this one by AT&T themselves a few days ago.
Apple Gazette has eight predictions: iTunes update, AppleTV update, the strongest holiday season ever, updated Mac Books, No iTablet, iPhone and iTouch software updates, iPhone SDK, Mac Nano.
Cringley has some ideas as well.
- Mac Pro updates.
- iPhone SDK.
- This subnotebook rumor is getting a lot of buzz. I’m thinking it will take design cues from the super-slim keyboards – meaning silver with white keys, and thin enough to slice cheese. The LED backlit screen and thinner form factor make sense. The flash storage I’m skeptical about as the prices are rather high, but the trade off of storage space for speed could be really appealing.
- Some announcement about the Apple TV – hopefully a version 2.0 that merges it with the Mac Mini, making it more powerful and suitable for running OS X or acting as a PVR.
- Beatles on iTunes. This rumor has been going on forever and recently Paul McCartney said it would happen at some point in 2008. Even a pre-announcement would be welcome.
Insanely Great (if these happen I’ll slap my forehead and drool):
- The subnotebook has multi-touch and a transforming ability to turn it into the constantly rumored iTablet.
- iPod Touch with a hard drive.
- The Newton returns as a portable multi-touch screen that runs full OS X.
- Movie rentals via the iTunes Store.
Anyhow, I’ve already got a day pass for MacWorld 2008. I don’t know of my exact plans but similar to last year I hope to check out whatever’s announced in the flesh.